I am a Principal Scientist, designer, and illustrator at Autodesk Research (Toronto). I design and develop computing tools that facilitate powerful ways of thinking, design, and communication with the playful, fluid nature of sketching. My research in animation & dynamic drawings are turned into new products that reach to a global audience. Among them, Apple recognised SketchBook Motion as the best iPad app of the year 2016.
I advocate the power of dynamic drawings as a powerful medium for art, design, and communication. As an attempt to communicate scientific ideas with storytelling and art, I have written my PhD thesis in the form of comics, In similar spirit, our Draco paper is the first academic paper in ACM with embedded animated figures in PDF.
I was honoured as one of the Microsoft Research Asia PhD fellows in 2011. Together with my colleagues, I received the prestigious ACM Golden Mouse award in CHI 2014 and CHI 2011 respectively for Draco and SandCanvas. I also received the Peoples’ choice best talk awards at ACM CHI 2014 and ACM UIST 2014.
We are always looking for motivated PhD students for internships in Autodesk Research. If you are interested in sketching interfaces, illustration, animation, or 3D design in general, feel free to contact me directly.
- I’ll serve in CHI 2017 Papers PC.
- Our DreamSketch paper got accepted to UIST 2017 (Details soon).
- Excited to speak at San Francisco Design Week this year (June 2017)
- Apple recognises SketchBook Motion (aka Draco) as The Best iPad app of 2016
- I am speaking at CHI Stories this year (May, 2017)
- I gave an HCI seminar talk at MIT (Feb 7th, 2017)
- I gave an HCI seminar talk at University of Rochester (Dec 5th, 2016)
- PhD, Computer Science, National University of Singapore (2009-2014, supervisor: Shengdong Zhao)
- BSc, Computer Science & Engineering,Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (2002-2007)
Research Projects / Tools
- Energy Brushes: Interactive Tools for Illustrating Elemental Dynamics
- Motion Amplifiers: Dynamic illustrations Using the Principles of 2D Animation
CHI 2016; SIGGRAPH Talks 2016
- ChronoFab: Fabricating Motion
- Kitty (Sketching dynamic and interactive illustrations)
UIST 2014 (People’s Choice Best Talk Award**)
Invited to SIGGRAPH 2015 UIST reprise session
- Draco (Bringing life to illustrations with Kinetic Textures)
CHI 2014 (Honorable Mention Award**, Golden Mouse Award** and Best Talk Award**)
SIGGRAPH Studio 2014
Autodesk University 2014
Singapore ArtScience Museum 2015
- SketchStory (A sketch based interface for storytelling with data in digital whiteboards)
Microsoft Research Techfest 2013 (Appeared in Keynote Speech)
- Vignette (A sketch based interface for pen-and-ink illustration)
SIGGRAPH Studio 2012
Singapore ArtScience Museum 2013
- SandCanvas (A multi-touch art medium inspired by sand animation)
CHI 2011 (Honorable Mention Award**, Golden Mouse Award**)
SIGGRAPH Studio 2012
Singapore ArtScience Museum 2013
- Principal Scientist, Autodesk Research (Toronto, Canada), May 2013-present.
- Research Intern, Microsoft Research (Redmond, US), Summer 2012
- Visiting Researcher, IGARASHI Design Interface Project, Japan Science and Technology Agency (Tokyo, Japan), Summer 2011
- Research assistant, National University of Singapore, summer 2009
- Software Engineer, Code71 Bangladesh Ltd (Dhaka), Nov 2007 – Feb 2009
- Freelance illustrator, cartoonist and visual designer, 2004-2007.
- Apple “best iPad app of the year 2016” for Sketchbook Motion (2016).
- ACM UIST People’s Choice Best Talk Award (2014)
- ACM CHI Golden Mouse Award (2014)
- ACM CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention Award (2014)
- ACM CHI People’s Choice Best Talk Award (2014)
- Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship (2011)
- ACM CHI Golden Mouse award (2011)
- ACM CHI Best Paper Honorable Mention Award (2011)
- NUS Research Achievement Awards (2011, 2012)
- NUS Entrepreneurship grant (2011)
- NUS Research Fellowship (2009-2013)
- BUET Merit Scholarship (2007)
- BUET Dean’s Scholarship (2007-08)
- Dhaka Education Board Scholarship (2002-07)
- Rajshahi Education Board Scholarship (2000-02, stood 11th among 350000 students)
- Sketchbook blog: My interview on Sketchbook Motion, and its future directions.
- Vizworld: My interview on dynamic drawings.
- CGChannel: Skuid May Let Non-Animators do Disney Style Animation
- 3Ders: Autodesk’s ChronoFab Creates The Illusion of Motion to 3D printing
- 3DPrint: Smoke, Spin, Gallop and Go in 3D print with Autodesk’s new ChronoFab modeling tool.
- FastCoDesign: Autodesk’s Draco Lets You Animate Illustrations In Seconds
- Animation World Network (AWN): Draco brings illustrators to life with Kinetic Textures
- Digital Tutors: Autodesk’s Draco makes animating 3D kinetic textures easier
- DesignTaxi: Autodesk’s New System Brings Your Still Illustrations To Life in an Instance
- HOW Design: Draco: Bringing Illustrations to Life with Kinetic Textures
- 3DVF: Draco : Autodesk Research donne vie aux illustrations
- BBC News: Microsoft unveils self-sketching whiteboard prototype
- The Verge: Microsoft SketchInsight lets you build a story with interactive sketches
- WIRED: Microsoft whiteboard unites big data, predictive drawing and autocorrect
- ZNet: SketchInsight whiteboard turns data into graphics for presentations
- VIZTHINKER: Microsoft Takes Graphic Recording to a New Level with SketchInsight”
- Prothom-Alo: Whiteboard sketches itself
- DIGITAL SPY: Microsoft unveils SketchInsight whiteboard that can think for itself
- India Times: Microsoft working on self sketching whiteboards
- THE Daily New Age: Interview with Kazi Rubaiat Habib