I am a Sr. Research Scientist at Adobe Research. I design and develop computing tools that facilitate powerful ways of thinking, design, and communication with sketching and gestures. My research in animation & dynamic drawings is turned into new products that reach to a global audience. Among them, Apple recognized SketchBook Motion as the best iPad app of the year 2016. Prior to Adobe, I worked at Autodesk Research, Microsoft Research, and Japan Science & Technology Agency.
I advocate the power of dynamic drawings as a powerful medium for art, design, and communication. As an attempt to communicate scientific ideas with storytelling and art, I have written my PhD thesis in the form of comics. In similar spirit, our Draco paper is the first academic paper in ACM with embedded animated figures in PDF.
I love to animate, draw, sketch, and write comics. In 2007, we published our first fantasy graphic novel (with my talented co-authors). I completed my PhD from NUS (Singapore) under the supervision of Dr. Shengdong Zhao, and my undergraduate from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Tech.
We are always looking for motivated PhD students for internships. If you are interested in animation, AR/VR, or 3D design in general, feel free to contact me directly.
- MagicalHands (Gesture based interaction for VR animation) is accepted to UIST 2019. Congratulations to Rahul Arora!
- CHI 2019 paper on AR storytelling accepted. Congratulations to Nazmus Saquib!
- UIST 2018 paper on animating static pictures accepted. Congratulations to Nora!
- Keynote talks at Dhaka SIGGRAPH Session & NSysS 2017 (Dhaka)
- Video interview with ICE Today.
- Our AR Sketching paper got accepted to CHI 2018! Congratulations to Rahul.
- I’m joining Adobe Research from Dec 2017.
- Thrilled to release our Bengali Alphabet drawing poster!
- I’ll serve in CHI 2017 Papers PC.
- Presented our DreamSketch paper to UIST 2017.
- Excited to speak at San Francisco Design Week this year (June 2017)
- Apple recognizes SketchBook Motion (aka Draco) as The Best iPad app of 2016
- I am speaking at CHI Stories this year (May, 2017)
- I gave an HCI seminar talk at MIT (Feb 7th, 2017)
- I gave an HCI seminar talk at University of Rochester (Dec 5th, 2016)
Research Projects / Tools (selected)
- Dynamic Drawings: Draco, Kitty, Motion Amplifiers, Energy Brushes, Vignette, Mixed-initiative UI
- Storytelling: SandCanvas, SketchStory, Body-Driven Graphics
- 3D design: DreamSketch, ChronoFab, SymbiosisSketch, MagicalHands